2012 marked the inaugural year of the IDeaL Education Foundation’s Jewels of the Civil Rights Movement Awards. Seven deserving women and women’s organizations received these awards for their tireless work and meaningful programs that further the historical legacy of women in the Civil Rights Movement.
Below is a list of recent Jewels of the Civil Rights Movement Awards recipients:
- Coretta Scott-King Living Legend Award: Patricia Doherty-Wildner, President & CEO, CEDA
- Mary McLeod Bethune Living Legend Award: Monica Haslip, Founder and Executive Director, Little Black Pearl
- Barbara Jordan Living Legend Award: Marsha Avery-Belcher, Director of Marketing and Resource Development, CEDA
- Francis Ellen Watkins Living Legend Award: Audalee McLoughlin, President & CEO, New Moms, Inc.
- Ida B. Wells-Barnett Living Legend Award: Eta Xi Sigma Chapter, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- Mary Church Terrell Living Legend Award: Rosalind Cotton, The Children’s Center Outreach
- Rosa Parks Award: Imani Pearls Community Development Foundation, Chi Omega Omega Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Dorothy Height Award: Chicago Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Autherine Lucy Award: Tau Psi Zeta Chapter, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
- Rev. Willie T. Barrow Award: Lucretia Douthet, Delta Sigma Chapter, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- Fannie Lou Hamer Award: Rep. Constance A. “Connie” Howard, 34th District of the State of Illinois
- Marian Wright Edelman Award: Dr. Iva E. Carruthers, General Secretary, Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference
- Ella Josephine Baker Award: Jamell Meeks, Director of Women’s Ministries, Salem Baptist Church of Chicago